Wednesday 13 March 2013

How to start....

So, my first attempt at this thing called "blogging"... I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I guess I'll start off with why I decided to try it. Lately I have been reading quite a few home improvement/DIY  blogs and they make me feel really inspired. I realized that I do a lot of things (craftwise and cooking) that I could probably share, so here I am!

Wow, this is harder than I thought, I might have to let go of some inhibition before I get the hang of this! Writing in  a journal is always easy peasy for me, pages fill up before I know it so I know there are a lot of words in my head:)

Some of my favorite pastimes are knitting and crocheting. Give me a new ball of yarn and some fat knitting needles and I'll be quite content for many hours at a time. Just recently I knitted a Cowichan sweater, and I asolutely love it! Now if only my sewing machine wasn't on the fritz I could finish it by sewing in the zipper so I could actually wear it.
When I started this project, I was quite intimidated, but surprisingly the pattern was super easy to follow and it didn't even take very long. I would estimate I spent 10-15 hours knitting and putting the pieces together. I do have to lengthen the sleeves a bit, probably about 1 1/2" to 2". It should be pretty easy and still look good because I'll add pieces long enough to fold over so you won't see the seams and they'll have a nice chunky cuff! This project is definately one that I'm going to repeat. Buying a sweater like this in the store will run you at least $100.00, well this baby cost me $20.00 in materials. (not counting the needles I bought specifically for this sweater cause I'll be able to use them forever). I used Bernat chunky yarn and it feels amazing, its soft and is supposed to be really washable which is a major bonus. I'm already dreaming about which colors and pattern I'm going to use for my next sweater:)

No comments:

Post a Comment