Friday 12 April 2013

Chevron Wall Art :)

 
This week I've been sick as a dog :( but I did manage to get some crafty in yet, Chevron wall art!!!!!
 
 
I had a slightly out of date, boring brown frame hanging in our spare room that I have always felt needed a facelift but never knew what exactly I wanted to do with it. Well, the other night inspiration hit! Here is the before photo of the frame...
 
 


I have been eyeing up all kinds of chevron home décor for a while now, so I decided to try it. I just flipped the picture over that was in the frame before (it was a piece of cardboard with a picture glued to it) and used it as my canvas! I started by giving the cardboard and frame a few coats of white paint. The frame ended up needing about 5 thin coats before it was completely white. Probably because I didn't use any primer, whoops! I figure its hanging on a wall, how scuffed could it possibly get??
 


I made a chevron "stencil" out of the paper backing from the frame using a quilting ruler and then traced the stripes onto my white canvas.
 

 
I painted the stripes using a cheap foam brush from the dollar store and.. wait for it... yup, the beautiful yellow paint that I'm still trying to use up! At some point I know I'll have to move on to another color but for now, yellow makes me happy and that's all that matters!
 
 
I printed a picture of a branch off the internet and cut it out using a utility knife to make a stencil, and then painted over the stencil in gray that I mixed using my acrylic paint set.
 


Two coats of that and I ended up with this...
 
 



I did the same thing with a cute bird (found online as well) and this is the end result! I love how it turned out. I haven't hung it anywhere yet, but it'll most likely end up the master bedroom or the bathroom... probably the bathroom above the toilet.
 

 
I am realizing that there are so many projects I can do at home using stuff I already have on hand. This project cost me...... $0.00!! All the supplies used were already sitting around my house. With a little bit of imagination and some research online, you can come up with endless projects that can perk up your home and give it a more up to date look.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment