Sunday 17 March 2013

The Bench Reveal!

 
So, yesterday evening I ended up finishing my bench project!! I was way to excited about it not to finish it. When I was at the fabric store yesterday afternoon, I spotted a piece of foam that looked like the perfect size for the top of the bench so I snapped it up for a few bucks along with my super awesome yellow chandelier cotton!
 
 
 
 
 
I decided to go with a "no-sew" version for the cushion,(not really because I wanted to but because my sewing maching is still broken.) So I pulled out my trusty little glue gun and went to work! First I pinned one side of the fabric to the foam so that I'd be able to pull the other side nice and tight. Oh, and my fabric is patterned so I had to make sure to place my foam on the fabric so that the lines were straight and parallel to the edges of the foam.
 
Then I got to work with my glue gun.  First I folded over the raw edge of the overlapping piece of fabric to give it a nice finished look, and then I glued that edge down onto the piece pinned to the foam! Easy peasy, and you don't need a sewing machine or have to deal with needles! (except for the minor pinning at the beginning.... I ryhmed!!)
 
 
 
 Here's a photo showing how the edges looked once I was done...(actually they still look like that :0 ). Nice and smooth and as far as I can tell the glue should hold it together quite nicely. Doing the ends wasn't hard either, it's just like wrapping a present!
 
 
 
Here's before and after pics, they're not even comparable, for a while before I decided to redo this bench, I actually thought of bringing it to the dump. It was ugly and not functional at all, but now I am really glad I held on to it and just fixed it up!
 
 
Before
 
I love how it looks against the blue wall in our bathroom, and since my towels were yellow already it fits right in! Super happy with how it turned out!!
 

After!!!!!!!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment